Systems-Level Testing Provides Quality Audio
At a time when the automotive industry's use of advanced materials for automotive interiors is changing the way that vehicle interiors are made, systems-level testing can help assess how changes to interiors materials can affect audio system quality.
In addition to audio system components such as the radio head unit, amplifier and speakers, the vehicle interior can affect the consumer's perception of sound quality. Using an in-vehicle six-microphone measurement array, Visteon engineers measure the effects of different interiors materials, components and road noise on audio system quality. In addition, audio systems-level testing measures the interior space as well as the audio system performance.
A variety of tests measure the acoustic and electrical parameters of the entire audio system in the vehicle:
- In-Vehicle Acoustic Frequency Response Assesses the acoustic response of the system at a listener's ears position.
- Acoustic Sensitivity A measurement of system volume (in decibels Sound Pressure Level) at 10 percent acoustic distortion.
- Acoustic Polarity Tracks the movement of a speaker cone for directional consistency.
- Electrical Clipping Voltage Measures the power delivered to the speakers in the vehicle and any potential losses that may occur in wiring harnesses and connectors.
- Electrical Frequency Response Measures the electrical signal going from the amplifier or radio head unit to the speakers.
- Electrical Noise Floor Measures the amount of speaker hiss when system volume is reduced.
This data enables Visteon to optimize the equalization (EQ) settings of an audio system for a particular vehicle environment and compensate for any acoustic anomalies within the vehicle cabin. In addition, Visteon can optimize the packaging in the vehicle's interior to ensure proper system response.
In the past, it took weeks for engineers to develop system EQ profiles for premium audio systems. Visteon's in-house capabilities can perform this task in a matter of days, providing solutions that improve audio system quality in a range of systems. In addition, Visteon can provide competitive information for customers interested in evaluating and comparing systems.Additional Information
Interactive Module - Audio and Multimedia Systems
Product Specifications - Radio Head Units
Product Specifications - Digital Signal Processing System
Capabilities - Audio Systems Testing
Feature Story - Optimizing In-Vehicle Audio
Feature Story - DSP Improves Vehicle Radio Reception
Feature Story - Audio Systems Testing